Saturday, April 9, 2011

In the beginning



These are the first bowls and cups that I manage make with the wheel. It took a really long time before I had something worth to put in the kiln. Just centering the clay seemed impossible. It was also frustrating to see others develop faster. For the first ones I gave nickname "elephant legs" for their weight.

It took about a year for me to finally understand how to make good pieces, thin and even. It was actually when I came back to the studio after quitting my troubling job and a months holiday in Finland. My head was clear and I myself was centered enough to give orders to the clay instead the clay ruling me. Now I love to add layers to this basic knowledge -different ways to position my body and the small technical details of giving the shape for lump of clay.

I may not be a natural born potter but a stubborn one! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment