Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Serving dishes set

A wheel throwing mission: Set of four serving dishes that are easy to storage (for example nestling bowls) for an autumn party. The biggest one should be for 2 liters.
Throwing big pieces on the wheel was new to me. First I  practised  throwing on bats, then how to make plates, platters and big bowls. I didn´t reach to the 2 liters but was quite happy for the results. After all the hard work I wanted some safe glaze that wouldn't make any problems...but there is always a but. The cream white glaze that usually worked didn't melt. I put the platters again in the kiln, but the glaze didn´t behave any better this time -it tore the pieces. And this happened only to the pieces I thought to present to the class.




The pitcher was the only surviver of the original set -for  it was glazed before the others. The rest of the pieces I fired 20 celsius higher than usually which made all the difference. The decorations are made with black engobe on bisque fired ware, with the cream white glaze on the top of course.





No comments:

Post a Comment